Active Hands-on Science Learning
The Full Option Science System™ (FOSS) philosophy is to engage students in science through active learning. Whether you want to generally embrace the vision of A Framework for K-12 Science Education: Practices, Crosscutting Concepts, and Core Ideas (2012) or follow more closely the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) with the integration of the Common Core State Standards in ELA and Math, there's a FOSS edition that will support your goals. Each edition shares the same research-based strategies that the FOSS developers at the Lawrence Hall of Science have been refining for more than 25 years.
Every FOSS investigation follows a similar design to provide multiple exposures to science concepts. The design includes these pedagogies:
- Active investigation, including outdoor experiences
- Recording in science notebooks to answer the focus question
- Reading in FOSS Science Resources
- Assessment to monitor progress and motivate student reflection on learning
In practice, these components are seamlessly integrated into a continuum designed to maximize every student's opportunity to learn. An instructional sequence may move from one pedagogy to another and back again to ensure adequate coverage of a concept.
1. Early College is an innovative and rigorous partnership between Raritan Valley College and the High School
2. Students satisfy their high school requirements and accumulate valuable college credits and credentials on their own high school campus.
Benefits - Why Offer an Early College Program?
We look forward to hearing from you!
Feel free to email or call us with any questions regarding the programs mentioned above.